Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Recovery!

As we know from previous posts, before Raw Nationals I added another work out day for speed bench. The concept was good , but the reality for a lifter my age was not so good. I believe this extra bench workout is probably responsible for the recent impingement I have been trying to rehab. Back when I started training with Ken Ryder and his crew, they recommended that I not lift more than two days a week and definitely not bench more than once a week. I had forgotten this advice. As a matter of fact, the reason I started squatting and deadlifting was to have another day of lifting during the week.
I tested my shoulder last night on the bench to see if after four weeks it was recovering.
After a quick warm up, I smoked 315, 335, and 355 with no problems. I had some slight discomfort in my shoulder while lifting but no pain this morning. I am going to continue to take off from benching until after Thanksgiving as planned.
Sid, my neighbor and one of my current training partners, has been feeling some pain in his shoulder as well. We decided last night to take Fridays off from benching to see if it helps our recovery and overall feeling of well being. We will continue accessory work and cardio.

I got an e-mail from my buddy Kevin Hutchinson. He told me that the Geudreaus are having a hard time filling in the masters world bench team. I am sure that this is due to the economic situation and the cost of the trip to New Zealand. Pat (my lovely wife) and I discussed it and decided that if I was asked I would decline this year. We will save the money for a run at the worlds in Sophia Bulgaria in 2010. I will be in the M5 (60 to 64) class and will take a shot at the world record. The qualifying meet will be the bench nationals in 2009.

No comments: