Wednesday, November 26, 2008

One More week until I bench again!!

The past seven weeks have been very productive for my squat and dead lift. While spotting for Sid on bench Tuesdays I have been hitting the leg press and seated rows with a vengeance. Last Sunday after warm ups I did my standard work set of 4 sets of 5 reps with a weight of 285 lbs. next Sunday that will go up the usual 5 lbs to 290. After my work sets I put 355 on the bar and did 2 sets of 3 reps a major pr (personal record) for me, squatting out of the racks. I have done more in the Smith machine but it is not the same. After squats I pulled (dead lifted) 3 reps at 435, 1 at 475 and a new recent (lower weight class) pr at 505. The 505 went up much cleaner than the 500 did two weeks ago.

A few thoughts on feeling sorry for oneself:

Because I did not make the Masters World bench team, I was feeling a little sorry for myself and questioning my ability as a power lifter. When I first chose to compete in 2003, my goal was to set a state bench press record in the 50 to 54 age division of the 275lb weight class. The record was held at that time by Willie Morris with a 407lb lift.
I went to Ken Ryder, who owned the Bull Run Athletic club at the time and was the power lifting “Man”, and asked if I could train with his crew. He allowed that I could, so I did. The training went well and at the 2003 USAPL Virginia Open I went to the platform for my first meet. I took a token at the squat, then wearing an old school Inzer blast shirt, I went out for my first attempt on bench. The bar was loaded to 385lbs and I took the hand off from Steve Horton. I brought the bar down to my chest then smoked the lift and racked it. The head Judge said “start” and everybody had a good laugh. I had jumped all the signals so received three red lights and a no lift. I went to the jury table to give my number for my second attempt. John Shifflet asked if I was going to take the lift over at the same weight, which is the custom. I replied that I had lifted that weight and my plan was to go to 395lbs so I did. This time I paid attention to the commands and smoked it again, three white lights good lift. For my third and final attempt I called for 410lbs, this would be a new State Record if I was successful. This is what I came to do. My wife has a 6x8 framed picture of me on the bench. Thacker is in the head chair and a crowd of power lifters is gathered around the platform. Ramsey is notable in his red bench shirt. The lift went by the numbers and I was the new state record holder. This record still stands 5 years later.
In the past five years I have competed in three major federations, the USAPL / IPF, the APA, and the 100% Raw. I have won state, national, and world championships. I went back through the records of these feds and discovered that I still hold 42 state records, 15 national records and 8 world records combined in these three federations. In 2008 I won two National Championships and set four new national records.
Now let us go back to where I am feeling a little sorry for myself, I guess I can let that go!!

No comments: