Wednesday, November 11, 2009

2009 100% Raw Federation Single Lift* World Championships!! November 7th and 8th

*This means that each type of lift is a championship contest. You still get three attempts at the lift.

Three of us from Fitness 19 in Manassas traveled to Norfolk Virginia for the event.
Mike Richards bench press and dead lift: open and 25-29 @ 198
Sid Zullinger bench press and dead lift: open @ 242
Ron Beuch (that’s me!) bench press and dead lift: 55-59 @275

All three of us lifted on Sunday the 8th. It was a little unusual. Usually the lighter weight classes say 198’s and 242’s will lift in the first session and the 275’s and the SHW will lift in the afternoon session. Because Mike was lifting 198 Sid and I went down for the technical meeting and the morning session. Much to our surprise there was only one session starting with four flights of bench press. The flights were not divided by age groups but by some formula known only by Paul Bossi. Mike was in the second flight opening fifth and Sid and I were in the third flight opening second.

I lifted off for Mike and he later lifted off for Sid and me. We all went 2 for 3 missing on our last lifts .I believe Mike scored gold for both the open and the 25-29 with a 347lb bench press, Sid scored 3rd in the open with a 363lb bench press. I scored gold with a 386lb world record bench press. I brought the 402 down a little low on my chest and could not get under it stalling at the transition.




386lb world record bench press


There were three flights of dead lifts after a flight of strict curlers. Paul Bossi wanted to finish with the big dead lifts and a cheering crowd. Sid and Mike were in the second flight and I was in the third flight with the big boys. Mike pulled 507 on his second lift for the gold in both the open and the 25-28. Sid opened with an easy 507, went to another easy lift of 546, then put it all on the line with a 567. He walked away with the Open Gold. The third flight was the last flight of the day. Ed, the guy lifting first was 60+ and opening with a world record. I of course am 59 with a birthday in two months. I was second and opening with a world record. The rest of the flight were 600lb and 700 lb dead lifters. Ed and I went 4 for 4, all world records, so he and I finished off the meet with my last world record dead lift of 540lbs as the last lift of the day. The crowd loved us and we loved them.


540lb world record dead lift

No comments: